Monday, November 06, 2006

Olbers' Paradox

Why is the night sky dark?

Shouldn't it be piercingly bright because of all the light from all the stars in the universe?

What happens to the light?

It's absorbed by matter between the Earth and the stars?

Why isn't everything glowing white hot then?

The universe hasn't been around long enough?

Actually, light from distant objects is redshifted (moves towards the red end of the spectrum).

I used to play a game called Solar Quest in which I drew Red Shift cards whenever I rolled a double.
I always liked to collect the moons of Saturn, and the space docks.

2 comments:

Justin said...

So - the light is there and we just can't see it? So all the seemingly dark in the universe, all that black that looks like nothing, is really light from a gazillion stars, all piercing through my body, like dark-red invisible space eels?

Ryan Hofer said...

I guess so. Just like we're made from cosmic dust.