Sunday, January 14, 2007

Living by Absolutes

I can't say exactly why, but life seems to be focusing lately. It feels as though I am finally letting go of everything I cannot do in this life and finding what I actually care about. There is a confidence in this, in recognizing that everyone is in the same predicament of having to choose to do a few things while knowing we are all creatures with unfulfilled potential. You have to do one thing which you love and know you are supposed to do. I believe in a life of confidence, in a communion with the Absolute. Though we live in this relative world of ratios and information, the world exists; the Absolute is perceivable. When we make decisions, we can know what to do.

I'm still getting this clear in my head, but I think principles can be tied to feelings which can guide us to correct living. I don't think informational principles can be coldly applied to every situation; ethics cannot be taught outside of a mentoring relationship. I am conceiving of correctness as making the right decision and the right decision is personal, but there is a right decision; the world exists and I can fit into it. I am getting used to feeling this right decision and it has something to do with a connection to everything else around me.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I read this one before, but didn't comment on it, so now I'm making up for my prior laziness.

I like the way you describe the "life of confidence." It seems to me that unless we have confidence in the thing we are doing, then it is ultimately empty, though I'm also realizing that there are many ways to obtain this confidence.

It is ironic that one way to obtain this confidence is to just start doing something until the confidence emerges. I suppose sometimes a life of confidence is grounded in first doing something with no confidence. So does that mean a life of confidence can be based on faith or on randomness? Not sure...

Anyway, may we both strive towards finding the life you have described...

Terrace Crawford said...

Just ran across your blog.

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford